Thursday, November 11, 2010

Disconnect to Connect

Dear Bunco Queen,
I have been very busy at work lately and have had to make an extra effort to keep up with my friends on facebook and through texting.  A group of my friends is getting together next week for lunch to celebrate one of our friend's birthdays.  I would like to go, but I'm feeling super stressed and the hour (or so) could be a good time to run errands.   I feel like going would be the right thing to do, but I sent a birthday card and will write on her facebook page, is that enough???  I wish there were more hours in the day!
Lisa

Dear Lisa,
It sounds like you've got technology working overtime for you!  I get that you are time strapped and I'm betting sleep deprived too!  facebook, texting, voicemail etc are all wonderful tools, but tools don't keep you warm at night and certainly don't hug you on your birthday!  You seriously should go the lunch with your friends and show your friend that celebrating her birthday is personally important to you.  You don't say if she is a close friend, but an hour is not too much to give.  It's so easy to facebook and text and think that we are really connecting.  When someone is far enough away from you it's a great option.  We can all connect in a much more vibrant way that we ever did before.  It's wonderful!  It's also AWFUL if we use it as the only way to connect with those who are close to us and also live near us. Seeing your friends in person is meaningful to them, but it's also meaningful to you.  Since you are super stressed, connecting with friends is even more important for your own well being.  When you're time crunched, it seems like the last thing you should do, but it's actually one of the best things you can do.  When socializing with friends, even for an hour to celebrate a birthday, the conversation can go from great reads to zumba class, election results to botox (or lack thereof :)).  Disconnect from the blackberry birthday - sharing smiles, hugs, tears and laughter connects us with each other in a way that warms your heart!

Bunco Queen

No comments:

Post a Comment